Sunday, September 18, 2011

Crashycrashcrash.

Durp. And awesome camping.

So after we escaped the Pacific, we had a day of hills followed by way too much campground. Met a lovely gentleman who made us instant coffee in his RV, then took off and made it past the mountainy hills and through a tunnel, and stopped to look at the sea lions and Heceta Lighthouse from an overlook. Talking with this guy sitting on the edge of a cliff in a camp chair, and we discover that the violin is not with us. He drove Miah back to get it... where we had coffee that morning. Thankyou world for making some honest people. Also thankyou to driver dude whose name we forgot - he gave us a Golden Eagle pass, which gets us free day use of parks with fees, and half off some campgrounds.

Cruised into Florence, sold a wallet, headed out to the Honeyman Campground, where we planned to get the hiker-biker spot for 5 a person. The sweetest lady in the world, Jude, was registering and offered to split her campsite with us, so we did. Better for everyone. We ended up staying there a second night as well, because I'm an idiot.

We're cruising into town to hunt down some liquids, and I thought it was so fun to ride without a pack on that I was speeding as fast as possible, racing a car out of the campground. Giant lady termite smashes into my front, so I decide to get it off. Stop pedaling, glance down to find the bug, look up, still in the center of the road at a good speed.... look down one more time to brush the bug off, and when I look up, there's a giant freaking log right next to me. Couldn't avoid it, so I went limp and went with it. Flipped over the handlebars, smashed up my knee some, bent in the front fork of the bike.... ya. Sigh. Miah was a sweetheart and carried the crunched bike back to camp while I used his as a scooter, and then he went to town to get ice. So now we're staying here a third night, waiting for the bike shop to open. Silly Sundays. Bike should be ok though, and I seem to be in surprisingly good working order. Couldn't walk last night, but today it's ok - stiff and bruised, but functional. Thankyou Esther for getting me through that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment